Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, April 15, 2011

The Music Manicotti

"A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Supermarket"

Here it is.... the first installation of my new recipe series.   This cheese-and-spinach-stuffed manicotti was quite good, especially for a reduced-calorie dinner. I'm not a huge fan of cottage cheese, but I didn't notice it in this recipe.  It was extremely easy to make, and it was worth waiting the hour for it to bake.  Yum.

Recipe #1:  The Music Manicotti


"The Music Manicotti"
Adapted from "Easy Meatless Manicotti" from Cooking Light Magazine
Yield: 7 servings (2 manicotti/serving)
328 calories/2 manicotti 

Ingredients:
2 cups (8 oz) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, divided
1 (16 oz) carton fat-free cottage cheese
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
1/4 cup (1 oz) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 (8 oz) package manicotti (14 shells)
1 (26 oz) jar fat-free tomato-basil pasta sauce
1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
cooking spray
1 cup water

Directions:
In a medium bowl, combine 1&1/2 cups mozzarella, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, spinach, oregano, salt, and pepper.  Spoon about 3 tablespoons cheese mixture into each uncooked manicotti.  Pour half of the tomato-basil pasta sauce into a 13x9" baking dish coated with cooking spray.  Arrange stuffed shells in a single layer over sauce and top with the remaining sauce.  Pour 1 cup water into dish.  Sprinkle some chopped basil and the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella evenly over sauce.  Cover tightly with foil and bake at 375º for 1 hour or until shells are tender.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment