Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Thursday, April 7, 2011

Caramelized Onion & Sweet Apple Chicken Sausage Pizza with Brie

Okay, so this isn't one of my "musical" themed recipes that will be coming up soon, but I was craving pizza and this recipe looked really interesting, so I decided to make it.  I never would have thought to put apples on my pizza.  And instead of a sauce, it had caramelized onions as the base.  I used fresh thyme which really brought excellent flavor to it.  I didn't slice the apple as thin as the recipe wanted, but I personally like chunks of apples.  I didn't think I'd like the Brie cheese, but I did.  The pizza was good.... different, but good.   I think it was actually meant to be an appetizer, but whatever.  I love appetizers as meals. 


Caramelized Onion & Apple
Chicken Sausage Pizza with Brie
Makes: 2 servings
280 calories/serving (3 slices per serving)

Ingredients:
 3 small links of Sweet Apple fully cooked Chicken Sausage, sliced thin on the diagonal
1 medium yellow onion, sliced thin
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 apple, sliced thin (or diced)
1 tandoori-style naan
6-7 thin slices Brie cheese

Directions:
 In a large skillet coated with olive oil, cover and sweat onions over medium-high heat.  Stir periodically so that the onions don't stick and burn on the bottom of the pan.  After 15-20 minutes, remove cover and add the fresh thyme and white wine.  Continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes until the onions are well caramelized and have cooked down by about 1/2 in volume.

Top the naan with the caramelized onions, then the apples and chicken sausage.  Finish with slices of brie cheese.  Bake on a cookie sheet at 375º for about 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly hot.  Allow to rest for 5 minutes.  Slice the naan using a pizza wheel into 6 slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment