Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, March 20, 2020

Shrimp Scampi with Veggies


Friday Fish Fry is out; eating at home is the current norm.  I felt like trying a new recipe and wanted to use the last of the shrimp in the freezer so I made this Shrimp Scampi recipe.  I had some leftover asparagus that I threw in there too.  It was good, but not fabulous.  Kinda boring.  Some bites had more flavor than others.  I think next time I would add butter or lemon juice at the end to kick up the flavor.  It was fine though. I was excited because I got to use the ribbon setting on the spiralizer for the zucchini and yellow squash.

Shrimp Scampi with Squash Ribbons
Recipe from Food Network, slightly adapted

Ingredients:
8 oz spaghetti
1 yellow squash, peeled or spiralized into ribbons
1 zucchini, peeled or spiralized into ribbons
1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
handful asparagus spears, chopped (optional)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
4 cloves garlic, minced
pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup chicken broth

Directions:
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti to al dente.   Save 1/4 cup of the pasta water.   Place the zucchini and squash in a colander and drain the pasta into the same colander.  Stir to combine pasta and squashes.

In the now empty pot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat.   Toss the shrimp with salt and pepper and add to the pot.  Cook until just pink around the edges, about 2 minutes.  Add the asparagus, tomatoes, garlic, and pepper flakes, and cook until tomatoes have softened, about 1 minute.  Add the pasta, squash, broth, and remaining 1 tablespoon oil.  Cook, tossing, until warmed through and most of the liquid has been absorbed.  Add pasta water if more liquid is needed.  Season with salt and pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment