Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Thursday, March 19, 2020

Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings


I wanted comfort food, so I made this recipe.  Luckily, we had some chicken breasts in the freezer since the stores seem have no chicken at all.  For veggies, I used carrots, celery, onions, peas, and asparagus.  Fast and easy and it tasted great.  We were nervous that 3 minutes pressure-cooked wouldn't be enough time to fully cook the chicken and dumplings, but it was perfect.  The dumplings were just what I needed to lift my spirits. 

Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
Recipe from Food Network, adapted slightly
Makes 4 large servings

Dumpling Ingredients:
1 tablespoon baking powder
1&3/4 cups flour
pinch salt
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup milk, room temperature

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons thyme leaves
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup white wine
1-1&1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1" pieces
1 cup frozen peas
handful asparagus spears, chopped (I added this)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
For dumplings, in a medium bowl, mix together the baking powder, flour, and salt.  Stir in the milk and melted butter until well combined.  Set aside.

Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode and add butter, stirring constantly while it melts.  Once melted, add onions, celery, carrots, and pinch of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2-3 minutes.  Add garlic and cook another minute.  Stir in the thyme and flour until combined.  Pour in the chicken stock and wine and stir.  Add the chicken, peas, asparagus, salt, and pepper.  Turn the pot off.

Carefully drop the dumpling dough by large spoonfuls into the pot (about 9-10 dumplings).  Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook on high for 3 minutes, then quick release.   Spoon the dumplings and soup into bowls and sprinkle with parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment