Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, February 21, 2020

Singapore Noodles with Shrimp


We had some shrimp we needed to use and when I looked through my cookbooks for a recipe, this one caught my eye.  The original recipe didn't call for asparagus, but I wanted to include more veggies so I added them in.  I didn't have mirin in my cupboard and I didn't feel like buying a bottle for a single recipe, so I substituted rice wine vinegar and a pinch of sugar.  Jeremy and I both enjoyed this dish.  It was something different from our normal rotation.  The recipe made 2 huge servings.  

Singapore Noodles with Shrimp
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen: Dinner for Two
Makes 2 large servings

Ingredients:
4 oz rice vermicelli (rice sticks)
8 oz extra-large uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
1&1/2 teaspoons curry powder, divided
1/8 teaspoon sugar
4 teaspoons oil, divided
2 shallots, sliced thin
1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into thin strips
1 cup chopped asparagus tips & stems (~1/2 bunch)
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup chicken broth
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons mirin (or white white or rice wine vinegar with pinch sugar)
1/2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce (or to taste)
pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
1 cup (2 oz) bean sprouts
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

Directions:
Add noodles to a large bowl and cover with very hot tap water.  Stir to separate.  Let noodles soak until softened but not fully tender, about 15-20 minutes; drain.

While noodles soak, cook shrimp.  Pat shrimp dry and toss with 1/4 teaspoon curry powder and sugar.  Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Cook shrimp for 1 minute, stir, and continue to cook for 30 seconds.  Transfer to a bowl.  

Add 2 teaspoons oil to the skillet and heat until shimmering.  Add shallots, bell pepper, and asparagus, and cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.  Stir in garlic and remaining 1&1/4 teaspoons curry powder and cook for 30 seconds.

Stir in broth, soy sauce, mirin, Sriracha, red pepper flakes, softened noodles, and cooked shrimp.  Cook, tossing gently, until everything is well-coated with sauce, about 2-3 minutes.  Stir in bean sprouts and cilantro.  Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment