Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Thursday, October 17, 2019

Instant Pot Chicken Shawarma


I was in the mood for something International, so I combined a couple different recipes I found online to make this Shawarma recipe.  The marinade has a lot of spices, but it was a fast and easy recipe.  It was very tasty, but not exactly like the Shawarmas I remember eating when we visited the Middle East.  Still, we both enjoyed it.  We'll have leftovers tomorrow, and I think I'll make an actual Greek salad with feta cheese to use in the pita.  That should be really good with the chicken.

Instant Pot Chicken Shawarma
Serves 6

Ingredients:

Chicken Marinade:
1 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp coriander
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized cubes/strips

Sauce:
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 Tbsp mayonnaise
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp minced garlic
pinch salt

Other:
Pita wraps/pockets
hummus
Greek salad or Toppings of your choice: lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, sliced onions, feta cheese
parsley for garnish

Directions:
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the spices, yogurt, lemon juice, and garlic.  Add the chicken to the marinade and stir.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to overnight.

Transfer chicken and marinade into the Instant Pot (no need to add extra liquid).  Close the lid and pressure cook on high for 5 minutes.  Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, then quick release.  Stir chicken and sauce and transfer chicken to a serving bowl using a slotted spoon.

While the chicken cooks, whisk together the sauce ingredients in a small bowl (I just mixed it directly in the small yogurt container).

Assemble the Shawarmas.   Warm the pitas if necessary.  Spread hummus on the pita.  Top with lettuce, chicken, sauce, Greek salad, and garnish with parsley.


No comments:

Post a Comment