Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Sunday, January 14, 2018

Pork Piccata with Brussels Sprout and Apple Hash


I'm always looking for ways to make vegetables taste good, and this recipe accomplished that.  Bacon makes everything better.  I really liked the apples and bacon with the thinly sliced Brussels sprouts, and apples are a naturally good pairing with pork, in my opinion.  Jeremy picked out the apples though (he doesn't enjoy meat and fruit together).  The original cookbook recipe called for veal cutlets, but pork is more accessible and far cheaper.  I also made a quick 5-minute couscous to go with it, although it wouldn't have been necessary. The recipe made a generous portion of hash. 

Veal (or Pork) Piccata with Brussels Sprout Hash and Apples

Recipe from One Pan, Two Plates Cookbook
Serves 2

Ingredients:
4 veal scallops (3oz each), pounded thin OR 1/4" thin boneless pork chops
salt and pepper
2 slices bacon, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 garlic clove, diced
12 Brussels sprouts, cut into thin slices
1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced
1/3 cup dry white wine (or use chicken broth or water)
1/2 lemon

Directions:
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the bacon.  Cook bacon until the fat renders but hasn't yet browned, about 2 minutes.  Salt and pepper the meat and add to the skillet.  Sauté pork for 3 minutes per side (or 1 minute for veal).  Remove meat to a plate, leaving the bacon in the pan.

Add the onion, garlic, Brussels sprouts, apple, and a few grinds of salt and pepper to the skillet.  Sauté the vegetables with an occasional stir until they soften and begin to brown around the edges, about 5-8 minutes.  Add the wine and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Taste and season as needed.  Return the meat to the pan on top of the veggies with any accumulated juices.  Cover the pan and cook for 2 minutes to heat up the meat and finish cooking the Sprouts.   Squeeze the lemon over everything.  Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment