Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Saturday, August 16, 2014

Stuffed Zucchini


I saw this recipe in my cookbook and thought it looked good.  It can be served as a side or as a vegetarian main dish or cut into smaller slices for appetizer bites.  It was pretty good.  I liked the crunch of the panko topping.  The zucchini squeaked as we ate it which was funny.

Stuffed Zucchini
from America's Test Kitchen Best-Ever Cooking for Two

Ingredients:
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 zucchini, halved lengthwise and seeded
salt and pepper
1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1 shallot, minced
3 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup canned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (or whatever cheese you want)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Directions:
Brush 1 tablespoon oil over cut sides of zucchini and season with salt and pepper.  Place zucchini halves, cut side down, on baking sheet and bake at 400º for 10 minutes or until slightly softened and skins are wrinkled. Flip zucchini over and let cool on sheet.

Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat.  Add panko and a pinch of salt and pepper, stirring frequently until panko is golden brown, about 3-5 minutes.  Transfer panko to a bowl and wipe out skillet with paper towels.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in the skillet over medium heat.  Add shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.   Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add beans and tomatoes and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.

Off the heat, stir in cheese and basil and season with salt and pepper to taste.  Divide filling evenly between zucchini halves.  Sprinkle panko evenly over the mixture.  Bake until heated through, about 6 minutes.  Serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment