Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, May 9, 2014

Glazed Chicken and Szechuan Noodles with Sesame Broccoli


The Wheel of Meals landed on International

Yay!  The Wheel of Meals is back after a two-month hiatus while completing the March freezer meals (This makes Jeremy very happy).   Now I have some catching up to do with the Wheel.  Since we finally had a warm day, I decided to go for a recipe that included using the outdoor grill.  The glazed grilled chicken was moist and delicious.  The sesame broccoli was good too.  But those Szechuan noodles--ack!  My sensitive American palate couldn't handle the heat.  Jeremy didn't mind and ate his whole portion plus some, but I couldn't take more than two bites.  My tongue was on fire.   I plan to used the leftover glazed chicken and broccoli in a salad tomorrow.

Glazed Chicken and Szechuan Noodles with Sesame Broccoli
from Cooking Light Magazine July 2012
Serves 4;  480 calories

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon lower-sodium soy sauce
8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
6 oz uncooked udon noodles (or whole wheat linguine)
1/4 cup Szechuan sauce
1 tablespoon reduced-fat creamy peanut butter
2 teaspoons lower-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
1/2 cup matchstick-cut green onions
12 ounces broccoli florets
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Combine first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; stir well.  Add chicken and toss to coat.  Place chicken on preheated grill rack coated with cooking spray and cook over medium-high heat.  Grill 4 minutes on each side or until done.

Meanwhile, add 1 inch of water to a saucepan and set a vegetable steamer in the pan.  Add broccoli and steam, covered, for about 4 minutes or until crisp-tender.  Place broccoli in a medium bowl and toss with oil, salt, pepper, and sesame seeds.

Cook noodles according to package directions.  Drain.  Combine Szechuan sauce, peanut butter, soy sauce, and juice in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.  Add noodles, carrots, and green onions; toss and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment