Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, April 1, 2013

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie


Along with the Lemon Cheesecake Bars I made for our extended family's Easter dinner, I also felt like making a fruity pie with a lattice top since I haven't attempted it yet.  I settled on Strawberry-Rhubarb.  It's a little too early for the rhubarb crop this year, so I just used frozen rhubarb.  I could have done better with the latticework on the pie.  The strips kept breaking.  I think I needed a little more water in the dough or perhaps I just needed to keep the dough in the fridge a little longer.    But overall, not bad for my first attempt.  Jeremy thought it could have used more sugar, but I thought it tasted good the way it was.

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie   (2013 Cookbook Challenge)
slightly adapted from The New Best Recipe Cookbook

Pie Dough Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
7 tablespoons vegetable shortening, chilled
10 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
8-10 tablespoons ice cold water

Pie Filling:
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
4 cups chopped red rhubarb
5 cups strawberries, quartered
1 cup sugar, divided
1/4 cup minute tapioca
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon sugar

Directions:
To make the dough, process the flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor until combined.  Add the shortening and butter and pulse the mixture until the texture resembles coarse crumbs.  Add ice water, a little at a time, until the dough can stick together and form a ball in your hands.   Form two balls of dough.  Flatten one dough ball into a 5" disc and the other into a 4" disc.  Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour before rolling.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until smoking.  Add the rhubarb and 1/4 cup sugar and cook, stirring frequently, until the rhubarb has shed most of its liquid but is still firm, about 5 minutes.  Transfer to a large plate and refrigerate until cool.

Remove one piece of dough from fridge and roll dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12" circle.  Transfer to a 9" pie plate.  Refrigerate until needed.

Adjust an oven rack to its lowest position.  Place a baking sheet on it and heat oven to 500º.

In a small bowl, mix together 3/4 cup sugar, instant tapioca, and salt.  In a large bowl, toss together the rhubarb, strawberries, vanilla, and orange zest.  Sprinkle the sugar mixture over the top and stir to combine.  Spoon the fruit evenly into the pie crust.

Roll out the second pie dough into a 12" circle.  Place it over the filling.  Trim edges to 1/2" beyond pan lip.  Flute the edges with your fingers or use fork to seal.  Cut 8 slits in dough top.  (Alternatively, make a lattice with the dough).  Brush the top of the crust with the egg whites and sprinkle with some sugar.

Place the pie on the hot baking sheet and lower the oven temperature to 425º.  Bake until the top crust is golden, about 25 minutes.  You may want to put a rim of foil just around the outer edge to prevent over-browning.  Rotate the pie and reduce the oven temperature to 375º.  Continue baking 30-35 more minutes until the crust is deep golden brown and the juices bubble.  Cool the pie on a wire rack until room temperature, 3 to 4 hours before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment