Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Sunday, April 14, 2013

Pork Chops with Cumberland Sauce


I felt like making pork chops, so I used this recipe from one of my cookbooks.   The chops were good but I wasn't a huge fan of the sauce.   It may be partly due to the fact that I didn't have any red currant jelly on hand so I substituted plum jam.  Not really the same thing, but I thought it was still be a sweet fruity flavor that would work.  I guess not as well as I thought.  I paired the chops with sauteed bok choy and Thai rice.  For dessert, I made a papaya-kiwi smoothie which was a massive gross disaster and I'm not going to bother posting that recipe at all.

Pork Chops with Cumberland Sauce  (2013 Cookbook Challenge)
from Eating Well Serves Two

Ingredients:
2 center cut loin pork chops (boneless or bone-in)
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1 small shallot, minced
1/2 cup dry red wine
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
1 tablespoon red currant jelly
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard

Directions:
Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.  Season pork with salt and pepper and cook until browned and no longer pink in center, 1-2 minutes per side for thin-cut, 4 minutes per side for boneless, and about 5 minutes per side for bone-in, depending on thickness of the chop.  Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.

Add shallot to pan and cook, stirring constantly, until softened, about one minute.  Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Boil until reduced to about 2 tablespoons, 2-3 minutes.  Whisk cornstarch and vinegar together in a small bowl and whisk into the sauce.  Cook, stirring until thickened, about 30 seconds.  Remove from the heat and stir in the jelly, sugar, mustard, and any accumulated juices from the pork chops.  Serve the pork with the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment