Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, April 26, 2013

Light Strawberry Shortcakes


Strawberries were on sale at the grocery store, so this was our dessert last night.   I loved it.  It was fast and easy to prepare.  Jeremy said he wanted a cookie instead (eye roll).   But I thought it was delicious and as a bonus, very low-calorie for dessert.

Light Strawberry Shortcakes
Serves 2;  ~120 calories/serving

Ingredients:
2 dessert shortcake shells  
1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
1/2 tablespoon sugar or Splenda
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup juice (I used Healthy Balance Apple-Cranberry)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
4 tablespoons fat-free whipped topping

Directions:
In a small saucepan, combine sweetener, cornstarch, and juice and whisk well.  Bring to a boil and stir constantly, about a minute or two, until mixture is thickened and bubbly.  Remove from the heat and stir in the extract.  Let cool and combine with strawberries.   Cover and chill for 30 minutes.

To serve, spoon strawberries over dessert shells and top each with 2 tablespoons of whipped topping.

No comments:

Post a Comment