Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Seared Ahi Tuna on a Pummelo & Tangelo Salad (2012 - Week 16)


2012 Week 16 Featured Ingredients: Pummelo & Tangelo

I saw a Pumello (aka Pomelo) in the produce department of Sendik's and asked myself, "What is that?"  So I put it in my basket and decided to make a recipe with it.  Turns out it is very similar to a grapefruit.  Not my favorite citrus fruit, but oh well.  I also picked up some Minneola tangelos for the first time as well.   Minneolas are a cross between a tangerine and grapefruit, but they looked and tasted a lot like oranges to me.  I liked them much better than the pomelo slices in the salad. And then I was browsing the meat/seafood department and saw two fine-looking Ahi tuna steaks and thought it would go well with the salad recipe which it did.  I rubbed them with a little salt, pepper, cayenne, and paprika.  Look at me, improvising my own recipe!!  :)

Seared Ahi Tuna on a Pummelo & Tangelo Salad
Salad Serves: 4-6

 Ingredients:
1 pummelo, peeled and sectioned
2 tangelos, peeled and sectioned
1 banana, sliced
4 cups baby lettuces or torn mixed greens
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon sugar

Ahi Tuna Steaks
salt, pepper
ground cayenne pepper
ground paprika

Directions:
For vinaigrette, combine lime juice, orange juice, olive oil, mustard, and sugar in a screw-top jar.  Cover and shake well to mix.  Combine fruit in a bowl.  Pour vinaigrette over fruit and toss gently to mix. 

Place a small amount of olive oil in a large skillet and heat to medium-high.  Rub spices on tuna steaks and sear on skillet for 2-3 minutes on each side. 


Arrange salad greens, fruit, and tuna on plates to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment