Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, March 26, 2012

Tabbouleh and Tandoori Chicken (2012 - Week 12)


2012 Week 12 Featured Ingredient: Bulgar

After four weeks of featuring a fruit or vegetable, I wanted to mix it up a little, so I chose Bulgar wheat since I had some in my cupboard that I had yet to use.   I decided to make Tabbouleh Salad with the Bulgar and then wanted some meat to go with it and made Tandoori Chicken.  I realize they don't originate from the same geographic area, but that's okay.   The Tabbouleh was good.  It was a nice light salad--something different.  For the chicken drumsticks, I combined a lot of random recipes, so it's probably not very authentic, but it was good, and that's all that really matters to me.  I made a yogurt dipping sauce for the chicken which I ended up using for strawberries instead.  :)



Tabbouleh
Makes ~8 servings


Ingredients:
1 cup hot water
1 cup bulgar whear
juice from 2 lemons (1/4 cup lemon juice)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
1 cup minced scallions, white and green parts
1 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 small cucumber, halved lengthwise, seeded, and diced
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
extra lemon juice or zest if desired
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper


Directions:
In a large glass bowl, pour the hot water over the bulgar wheat.  Add the lemon juice, olive oil, and salt.  Stir to combine, and cover the bowl with plastic wrap.  Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.   Add the remaining ingredients and season to taste.  Refrigerate and serve on large romaine lettuce leaf if desired.




Anne's Tandoori Chicken Drumsticks

Ingredients:
6 to 12 chicken drumsticks, skin removed

Marinade:
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
couple drops of red food coloring (optional)


Yogurt Dipping Sauce 
(optional)... I ended up using mine for strawberries instead
1/2 cup yogurt
1/2 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ginger
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 Granny Smith apple, grated


Directions:
In a medium bowl, stir together the yogurt and lemon juice.  Add all the other marinade ingredients and whisk until you have a smooth, thick marinade. 


Put the chicken into one or two large plastic resealable bags and add the marinade.  Knead the bags until the chicken is well coated.  Squeeze out most of the air from the bags and zip closed.  Refrigerate for 12-24 hours.  Turn and knead the marinating chicken once or twice while in fridge.

Preheat oven to 475ºF.  Remove chicken from fridge, line a large roasting pan with foil, and lay a rack over the pan so that air can circulate under chicken.   Place well-marinated chicken drumsticks on rack and roast for 15 minutes (no peeking!).  Turn drumsticks over and roast for another 10-15 minutes.  Let rest in oven for 5 minutes.  Remove to warm platter and serve.  


If desired, make the yogurt dipping sauce for chicken by whisking all the ingredients together.

No comments:

Post a Comment