Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Sunday, March 11, 2012

Pulled Pork Sandwich with Jicama Slaw (2012 - Week 10)


2012 Week 10 Featured Ingredient: Jicama


I was watching an episode of Chopped just last week and this ingredient came up, and Jeremy said, "What is Jicama??" (actually pronounced hick'-ah-mah) It's a Mexican root vegetable that in flavor and texture is sort of like a cross between a potato and an apple.  I tried to explain it, but I couldn't because I've never had it (to my knowledge) or used it.  But I knew I'd seen it at the grocery store, so I decided to make it this week's featured ingredient.

I came across a lot of recipes for pulled pork and jicama slaw, so that's what I made.  It was also my first time buying pork butt (which still makes me giggle).   I combined various recipes and just winged my own slow cooker version.   I didn't do the best julienne job on the slaw, but the flavors were good.  I liked it.

Lime-Marinated Pulled Pork Sandwich with Jicama Slaw

Serves: 8-10
424 calories/serving

Ingredients:
Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins or Fold-It Flatout Bread (100-calories)

Pulled Pork:
3-4 pounds boneless pork butt, trimmed of excess fat, cut into 2-inch cubes
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 large onion, chopped
6 garlic cloves, minced
5 large limes, juiced

Slaw: 
2-3 cups julienned jicama root
1 cup julienned carrot
1/2 cup julienned cucumber
4 green onions, julienned
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 tablespoon honey
1 lime, juiced
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions:
Toss the pork with the rest of the pork ingredients and marinate in the fridge overnight.  Transfer pork and all its marinade to a crockpot.   Cook on low for 8 hours.  You may want to add a little extra lime juice and/or 1/4 cup water.   Use forks to shred the meat apart.  Stir cooking juices into the meat.

While the pork is slow-cooking, make the slaw.     In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, yogurt, honey, lime juice, vinegar, and spices.  Set aside in the fridge for at least 10 minutes for flavors to combine.   In a large bowl, combine jicama, carrot, scallions, cucumber, and cilantro.  Toss with the dressing.

Scoop some pulled pork onto one half of the sandwich bun.  Top with the jicama slaw and cover with the remaining bun.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment