Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Surf and Turf with Broccolini over Parmesan Polenta (2012 - Week 7)

 Happy Valentine's Day!


2012 Week 7 Mystery Ingredient: Polenta

So I know that Polenta is really more of a recipe than an ingredient, but I've never had it, so I'm counting it.  Plus, I've never prepared lobster or broccolini before either, so I'm doing THREE new ingredients in one meal.   I didn't care for the polenta.  I prefer mashed potatoes.   I was happy with the Lobster, though.  I watched an online video on how to prepare a lobster tail since I was clueless, and I was pleased that I managed to make it work.  It looked elegant and special for a gourmet Valentine's Day meal with my husband.

Parmesan Polenta
Recipe from The Best New Recipes Cookbook
Serves: 3-4  

Ingredients:
3 cups water
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3/4 cups cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
1/4 to 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
freshly ground black pepper 

Directions:
Boil water in heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat.  Once boiling, add salt and pour the cornmeal into the water in a very slow stream, all the while stirring in a circular motion with a wooden spoon.  Reduce heat to the lowest possible setting and cover.  Cook for about 30 minutes until polenta becomes soft and smooth, stirring vigorously for 10 seconds every 5 minutes, making sure to scrape clean the bottom and corners of pot.  Stir in the butter and Parmesan cheese and season with salt and black pepper to taste.  Serve immediately.

Sauteed Broccolini
from Ina Garten on Food Network Channel

Ingredients: 
1 bunch broccolini
kosher salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 lemon, zested
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions: 
Blanch the broccolini in a large pot of boiling salted water for 2 minutes.  Drain immediately and immerse in a bowl of ice water. 
Melt the butter in a large saute pan.  Add the lemon zest and garlic.  Drain the broccolini and add it to the saute pan and heat for 2 minutes.  Add the lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and toss before serving. 


Surf and Turf  
(Baked Lobster Tail and Pan-Seared Filets Mignons)

Filets Mignons:

Place a rimmed baking sheet on the lower-middle position in the oven and heat to 450ºF.    On the stovetop, place a heavy-bottomed skillet and heat to high.  Meanwhile, rub each side of the steaks with olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt and pepper to taste.  Place the steaks in the hot skillet and let cook, without moving or touching the steaks, until well-browned and a nice crust has formed, about 3 minutes on each side.  Transfer the steaks to the baking sheet and roast until desired doneness: 4-6 minutes for rare, 6-8 minutes for medium-rare, and 8-10 minutes for medium.  (If desired, make a pan sauce for steaks in the empty skillet.)   When steaks are finished cooking, set aside and let rest for 5 minutes, loosely tented with foil. 

Baked Lobster Tails:
 Defrost lobster tails overnight.  Using a scissors, cut down the center of the shell until just before the tailfan (Don't cut meat or the underside of lobster.)  Carefully open the top of the shell, and using your fingers, loosen the cartilage on inside of shell to free the lobster meat.  Pull out the lobster meat through the slit on top, put shell back in place, and let meat rest on the empty shell (this presentation is called a piggyback lobster tail).
Place prepared lobsters on baking sheet, drizzle with lemon juice, melted butter, and parsley, and bake at 375º for about 15 minutes. Serve with a lemon wedge and extra melted butter if desired.


No comments:

Post a Comment