Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, February 24, 2012

Eggplant and Zucchini Brown Rice Gratin (2012 - Week 8)


2012 Week 8 Mystery Ingredient: Eggplant

I wanted to make a meatless dish and this seemed like a good idea.  It looked good in the magazine picture, but this recipe was a bit of a flop.  It wasn't bad, but it could have used a lot more flavor.  Okay, it was bad.  I threw out the leftovers.  I think the brown rice made it taste blah.   At least it was healthy.  I did like the crunch of the walnuts.


Eggplant and Zucchini Brown Rice Gratin
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light Magazine
Serves: 6,   320 calories

Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
1 pound eggplant, cut into 1" cubes
1 pound zucchini, cut into 1" cubes
1 teaspoon salt, divided
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup chopped onion
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
1/4 cup half-and-half
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Directions:
Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

In a large bowl, combine eggplant, zucchini, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon olive oil; toss to combine.  Place mixture on a large baking sheet coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 400º for 15 minutes.  Reduce oven temp to 375º.


Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to pan, and add garlic and onion. Cook until tender.  Add the onion mixture to the eggplant mixture.  Add the cooked rice, remaining salt, pepper, eggs, half-and-half, and 3/4 cup cheese.  Stir well to combine and spoon into a 9x13" glass baking pan coated with cooking spray.  Cover with foil and bake at 375º for 15 minutes.


Meanwhile, combine remaining 1/4 cup cheese, Panko bread crumbs, walnuts, and parsley.  Remove foil from rice mixture and top evenly with breadcrumb mixture.  Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes until vegetables are tender and topping is browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment