Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cherimoya Chiffon Pie (2012 - Week 6)



2012 Week 6 Mystery Ingredient: Cherimoya

Sorry for the delay in this post.  I had to wait for my cherimoyas to ripen and get soft enough to use.  Mark Twain called the Cherimoya "the most delicious fruit known to men."  It is also known as a "custard apple" because the pulp has the consistency of custard or sherbet.  I noticed this fruit in the store and decided to give it a try.   I don't agree with Twain about it being the most delicious fruit.  The pulp was kind of weird.  Not bad--just different.   But once it was in the pie, it was delicious.   I had one little mishap.  Something went wrong with the gelatin, or perhaps I didn't let it set long enough in the fridge, because it wasn't as firm as it should have been.  Oh well.  It was still yummy.

Cherimoya Chiffon Pie

Ingredients:
1&1/2 cups pureed cherimoya (~2-3 cherimoyas)
1/4 cup water
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup orange juice
1 cup sugar
1 cup whipping cream
3 egg whites
6 tablespoons sugar
raspberries, lemon zest, mint leaf (optional garnish)
Graham Cracker Pie Crust:
1&1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
5 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:
Mix melted butter, sugar, and graham crumbs.  Press into a 9" pie plate and bake at 350º for 6 to 8 minutes.  Let cool before filling.  (Or you can buy a graham or chocolate cookie crumb crust)

Scoop out flesh of cherimoya with a spoon and mash by pressing it through a mesh strainer.  You may need to use your fingers.  Discard seeds (they are inedible).


Dissolve gelatin in water; let sit for 5 minutes.  In a large bowl, combine the mashed/pureed cherimoya, 1 cup sugar, and orange juice.  Stir the dissolved gelatin into cherimoya mixture and let it sit in fridge until it thickens.

Meanwhile, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form.

In another bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form, then add 6 tablespoons sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form.  Fold the whipping cream and cherimoya mixture into the egg whites.

Pour filling into the prepared pie crust and refrigerate until firm (at least 3 hours or next day).  Garnish with raspberries, lemon zest, or mint leaves as desired.
Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment