Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Orange French Toast

18 weeks left in the year, and I'm determined to lose weight.  Combined with a love of food, this can be a tricky game to play.  So I'm currently all about portion control and including fruits and vegetables and making recipes that won't sabotage my diet.   I found this breakfast recipe in a Weight Watchers cookbook.    This entire breakfast, including the turkey sausages, was only 370 calories... not bad for a huge portion!  It definitely filled me up.

Orange French Toast

Orange French Toast from "Simply the Best" Cookbook
Makes 2 servings
250 Calories (4 WW points)

Ingredients:
1/2 cup skim milk
1/3 cup fat-free egg substitute
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
4 slices low-calorie whole wheat bread
1/2 cup nonfat or lowfat vanilla Greek yogurt
1 large naval orange, cut into slices
1/2 cup sliced strawberries

Directions:
In a shallow bowl, combine milk, egg substitute, orange zest, vanilla, and cinnamon.  Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture, coating both sides and allowing the liquid to be absorbed.

Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray and allow it to heat.  Add the bread, 2 slices at a time, and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes;  turn over and cook 2 minutes longer.  Cut the French toast slices diagonally in half.  Place 4 halves on each plate;  top with the yogurt and fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment