Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Chicken a la King and I Casserole

"A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Supermarket"
(A collection of recipes based on Musical titles)
  1.  The Music Manicotti
  2. Gentleman Prefer Blondies
Recipe #3:  The Chicken a la King and I Casserole 
I LOVED this recipe.  It was creamy and cheesy and delicious.  I was going to add peas and maybe carrots or mushrooms for extra vegetable content, but I completely forgot.  And let's face it-- I hate mushrooms.  I ended up following the recipe except I omitted the almonds.  I froze half and baked the other.  I paired the casserole with a strawberry spinach and arugula salad.

"The Chicken A La King and I Casserole"
From Taste of Home Test Kitchen - Healthy Makeover Recipe
Yield: 8 servings (1 cup each)
306 calories

Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces uncooked wide egg noodles
  • 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
  • 2/3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
  • 6 ounces cubed reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta)
  • 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
  • 1 cup sliced celery
  • 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
  • 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, drained
  • 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup slivered almonds


Directions:
  • Cook noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the soup and milk. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add the chicken, celery, green pepper and pimientos.
  • Drain noodles; add to chicken mixture and mix well. Transfer to two shallow 2-qt. baking dishes coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 400° for 20 minutes.
  • Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over the top. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment