Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Thursday, October 28, 2010

Loaded Bratwurst Stew

With below-freezing temperatures predicted for tonight, I thought a good stew would be the perfect fare to keep me warm.  I liked this recipe I found in a magazine because it wasn't high in calories and I could throw everything into a slow cooker and let it stew all day.  I only made a couple alterations.  I used reduced-sodium chicken broth, added carrots, and substituted Italian Turkey Sausage for the Bratwurst.  It was filling and delicious.  I transferred the leftovers to individual containers to freeze and enjoy on days when I don't feel like cooking.

Loaded Bratwurst Stew
(adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Holiday Recipes)


Makes 6 servings;   315 calories/serving

1 pound cooked Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage Links, cut into 1/2" slices
4 cups packaged shredded cabbage (coleslaw mix)
1&1/2 cups coarsely chopped red potatoes
1 cup chopped carrots
1 medium red sweet pepper, chopped (~3/4 cup)
1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
2 cans (14 oz each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon mustard
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon celery seeds

Directions:
In a 5-6-quart slow cooker, combine bratwurst, cabbage, carrots, potatoes, sweet pepper, and onion.  In a large bowl, whisk together the broth, mustard, vinegar, salt, pepper, and celery seeds.  Pour over mixture in slow cooker.  Cover and cook on low-heat for 6-7 hours or high heat for 3 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment