Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, January 25, 2021

Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Sandwiches

 

I wanted a fun "game day" meal that didn't take too much time, and this was perfect.  I was able to use up some of my frozen garden peppers from the summer.  I put it all in the crockpot and let it do its thing all afternoon.  When it was done cooking, all I had to do was shred up the chicken and then do a little broiling.  Super easy.  The flavor of the chicken was really tasty and you can't go wrong with melted cheese.  The sandwiches were pretty big so we just paired it with a salad to get a little more veggie content.

Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Sandwiches
Makes ~6 servings

Ingredients:
1/2 cup chicken broth 
2 green peppers, cored and cut into strips
1 large onion, peeled and sliced into half moons
1/2 tablespoon paprika
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
provolone cheese slices
sub or hoagie buns

Directions:
Pour the broth into the slow cooker and put in the peppers and onions.  Combine the dry spices in a small bowl and sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the seasoning mixture over the veggies.  Rub the remaining seasoning mixture all over the chicken.  Place the chicken on top of the veggies.   Cook on low for 5-6 hours until the chicken is tender and cooked through. 

When cooked, remove chicken from slow cooker, shred, and return to slow cooker, tossing with peppers and onions.

Cut the buns horizontally so you have a top and bottom.  Butter each half if desired. Toast the buns, cut side up, under the oven broiler for 30-60 seconds until toasted.  Using a slotted spoon, scoop some chicken, peppers, and onions from the slow cooker and arrange on a bun.  Top with a provolone slice.  Broil a minute or two until the cheese is melted.  Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment