Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Saturday, February 13, 2016

Shrimp and Broccoli Stir-Fry


I wanted something easy, light, and meatless, so I settled on this recipe.  We liked it, but the ratio of shrimp to veggies was heavy on the shrimp.  I had already added bell pepper to the original recipe, but I would add even more veggies next time--more broccoli, perhaps some shredded carrots too.  The seasoning and overall flavor was good though.

Shrimp and Broccoli Stir-Fry
from Cooking Light: One-Dish Meals Magazine
Makes 4 servings, ~200 cal/serving (without rice)

Ingredients:
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tablespoon cornstarch
salt and pepper
canola oil
1/4 cup green onions, cut diagonally into 1" pieces
2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 cups broccoli florets
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
1/4 cup lower-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Directions:
Pat shrimp dry with paper towels.  In a medium bowl, combine shrimp with cornstarch and a dash of salt and pepper and toss to coat.  Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat.  Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan and add shrimp mixture; Stir-fry 4 minutes.  Remove shrimp and place in medium bowl.

To the empty skillet, add 1/2 tablespoon oil and add green onions, ginger, and garlic.  Stir-fry 45 seconds and then add mixture to the bowl with the shrimp.

To the empty skillet, add 1 tablespoon oil and the broccoli and bell pepper.  Stir fry 2 minutes and then return the shrimp-onion mixture to the skillet along with the soy sauce, vinegar, honey, and red pepper flakes.  Bring to a boil and cook 1 minute or until shrimp are done and broccoli is crisp-tender.   Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment