Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, October 14, 2013

Barbecued Ribs


I saw these barbecued ribs on sale at the grocery store, and fell prey to the store's marketing scheme and made an impulse purchase.  Hey, it's a yummy Football Sunday sort of dinner.  We enjoyed it.  I supposed I could have grilled them, but this indoor version was good too.

 Indoors Barbecued Ribs   (2013 Cookbook Chalenge)
from Joy of Cooking
Serves 6

Ingredients:

2 sides pork spareribs or 2 racks baby back ribs

Southern Barbecue Dry Rub:   (you won't use all of it)
2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground mace (I used nutmeg)
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons ground black pepper

Barbecue Sauce:
3/4 cup castup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 lemon slices

Directions:
Pat dry the ribs.  Rub with the Southern Barbecue Dry Rub.  Wrap in plastic and refrigerate a couple hours.   Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350º.  Cover the ribs with foil and roast, rib side up, for 45 minutes.  Uncover, turn meat side up, and roast for another 45-60 minutes at 300º.   Meanwhile, combine the sauce ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring often for 5 minutes.  (The sauce will keep in fridge for a couple weeks).  During the last 15-30 minutes of roasting, baste the ribs with the sauce, repeating every 10-15 minutes.  Remove ribs from heat and let stand for 15 minutes.  Repeat basting.


No comments:

Post a Comment