Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Thursday, June 20, 2013

Jim Beam Pork Chops and Stuffed Baked Potatoes


Meat and potatoes- that's what my man likes, so that's what I cooked.   I adapted these recipes from James Beard's American Cookery.  The pork chop recipe actually called for Brandy, but since I didn't have any in my cupboard, I substituted Jim Beam Bourbon Whiskey.  I thought it gave the pork extra flavor without being overpowering.   To the potato recipe, I added light sour cream instead of heavy cream, and then I sprinkled some bacon bits on top for crunch and flavor.  The stuffed potato was awesome--my favorite part of the meal tonight.  I'm posting my version of the James Beard recipes.


Sautéed Pork Loin Chops with Whiskey Sauce  (2013 Cookbook Challenge)

Adapted from James Beard's American Cookery

Ingredients:
4 boneless pork loin chops
flour
salt and pepper
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup bourbon whiskey (or brandy)
1 cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Directions:
Mix together some flour and a little salt and pepper.  Dredge the pork well with the flour.  Heat the butter and oil together in a skillet, and when bubbling hot, add the meat.  Cook slowly over medium heat until nicely browned on each side.  Be careful not to overcook.  When just tender, pour off most of the fat, reserving about 2 tablespoons in the pan.   Flame the meat with the alcohol.  Transfer to a platter.  Blend 2 tablespoons flour with the remaining fat in the pan.  Add cream and stir until the mixture has thickened slightly.  Add salt and pepper.  Serve over the pork.

*****

Stuffed Baked Potato Halves  (2013 Cookbook Challenge)
Adapted from James Beard's American Cookery
Serves 2

Ingredients:
1 Idaho potato 
1 teaspoon butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup grated Gruyère cheese (can substitute Swiss or Cheddar)
2 heaping tablespoons light sour cream
2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons bacon bits

Directions:
Rub the potato well with butter and pierce with fork a couple times.  Bake at 375º for 55-60 minutes.   Immediately cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the meat into a bowl.  Combine well with the salt, pepper, cheese, and sour cream.  Heap the filling back into the potato shells.  (This part may be done ahead of time up to this point and stored in fridge.)  Sprinkle each half with Parmesan cheese and bacon bits.  Return to the oven and bake at 375º until nicely browned and heated through, about 15-20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment