Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Thursday, January 14, 2016

One Pot Chicken and Rice with Swiss Chard


I got a Dutch Oven for Christmas, and I've been anxious to try it out.  It's so nice to be able to throw everything in one pot and let it cook.  This recipe was delicious and fairly healthy too.  I couldn't find leg quarters in the store, so I just used boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead.  Worked just fine.  I would definitely make this again.

One Pot Chicken and Rice with Swiss Chard

Ingredients:
4 chicken leg quarters (~2 lbs)  - I used b/s chicken thighs
salt and pepper
3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 bunch Swiss Chard (~10 oz), stems chopped, leaves torn into 2-inch pieces
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
1&1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1&1/2 cups basmati rice (or any long grain rice)
2&1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
lemon wedges

Directions:
Pat dry the chicken and season with salt and pepper.  Heat a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium high.  Add chicken and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 12 minutes.  Transfer chicken to a plate.

Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, chard stems, onion, and carrots.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until chard stems and onions are translucent, about 4 minutes.  Add chard leaves, lemon zest, and rice; cook 1 minute.  Add broth and bring to a rapid simmer.  Reduce to a simmer and season with salt and pepper.  Arrange chicken, skin side up (if it has any), on top of rice mixture.  Cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through and liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes.  Remove from heat and rest 5 minutes.  Serve with lemon wedges.


No comments:

Post a Comment