Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, August 28, 2015

Cream Puffs


I've made these before, but I 'm re-posting because they're just so darn good.  It's a nice once-a-year summer treat. The nice thing about this recipe is that you can make little mini cream puffs or giant ones like at the State Fair.  I chose to make smaller ones for my guests.

Cream Puffs
makes 10 - 24 depending on size

Ingredients:
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour
4 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
additional powered sugar for dusting

Directions:
In a large saucepan, bring the water, butter, and salt to a boil over medium heat.  Add the flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms.  Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.  Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.

Drop by large spoonfuls (smaller) or 1/4 cupfuls (large) onto  greased or parchment-lined baking sheet.   Combine milk and egg yolk; brush over puffs.  Bake at 400º for 25-35 minutes until golden brown (time depends on how big you make them).  Remove to wire racks.  Immediately cut a slit in each for steam to escape. Let cool.

In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken.  Add sugar and vanilla; beat until almost stiff.  Split cream puffs so they have a top and bottom; discard soft dough from inside.  Fill the puffs with cream just before serving.  Dust with confectioners' sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment