Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Friday, March 13, 2015

Whiskey BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches


Oh Yum.  Slow cooked pork with a BBQ sauce.   Can't go wrong.   Despite the long ingredient list, it really doesn't take much preparation.  The Crockpot does most of the work.  I thought about adding some caramelized onions on top, but we were hungry and I didn't have enough time for that step.  Maybe next time. I only used a small portion of the Pulled Pork and the BBQ Sauce for our sandwiches, but I have a recipe in mind for the remainder on Saturday for Pi Day.   Stay tuned for that recipe.


Whiskey BBQ Pulled Pork 
from TheKitchenWhisperer

Ingredients:
4 lb pork butt
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup BBQ Spice Rub
2&1/2 cups Whiskey BBQ Sauce

BBQ Spice Rub  (makes ~3/4 cup)
2 tablespoons sea salt
1 tablespoon celery salt
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon fresh black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons ground mustard
4 tablespoons dark brown sugar

Whiskey BBQ Sauce   (makes way more than what you need)
5 cups original BBQ Sauce (not honey)
1 cup whiskey
1 cup water
3 teaspoons liquid smoke
1/2 cup molasses
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions:

To makes the BBQ Spice Rub, mix by hand or pulse the ingredients a few times in a food processor.  Store excess in a glass jar in a cool, dry place.

Pat dry the pork.  Generously rub the spice rub all over the meat.  Place, fat side up, in the crock pot.  Add just enough water so that it comes up 1 inch high.  Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.   When done, remove from pot and place in a large serving bowl.  Using two forks, shred the meat to the desired chunk size.

Near the end of the pork's cooking time, add all the BBQ Sauce ingredients in a medium sauce pan.  Whisk well and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened.   Store extra sauce in a glass container in the fridge for another use.

Mix enough BBQ Sauce into the pork until just wet and infused with the flavor you desire.  Enjoy on a bun or whatever you want.    Also freezes well.




No comments:

Post a Comment