Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, December 30, 2013

Special Venison


Jeremy's sister gave us some venison tenderloins from the deer she shot.  I found this recipe from Penzey's Spices and went with it.   I accidentally seared the meat a little long on one side (not really burnt though), but it still tasted good.  I wish I had made the sauce that goes with it but I didn't have beef stock or currants so I skipped it. 

Special Venison
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 lb venison (or beef tenderloin)
1 teaspoon cracked rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup dried currants
3/4 cup water
3/4 teaspoon beef soup base
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
2 tablespoons grape or raspberry jelly

Directions:
Wash the tenderloins and pat dry.  Mix the rosemary, coriander, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of the olive oil to make a paste.  Rub the tenderloin with the paste; cover and chill for 15 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450º.   Heat a large oven-proof skillet over high heat until hot; add the remaining oil and tilt to coat the bottom.  Season the tenderloin with salt and pepper and sear in the hot skillet, about 3 minutes on both sides.   Transfer to the oven and cook until a meat thermometer reads 125-130º, about 20-30 minutes. 

In the hot skillet, add the wine to deglaze the pan.  Stir in the currants and beef soup base mixed with 3/4 cup water.  Boil over medium-high heat.  In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, water, and rosemary.  Add to the skillet and simmer until mixture is thickened.  Whisk in the jelly and adjust seasonings.  Slice the tenderloin and serve with sauce drizzled over the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment