Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Saturday, July 20, 2013

Strawberry-Rhubarb Ice Cream


We had some rhubarb in the freezer that Jeremy wanted me to use up, so I debated which type of yummy dessert I wanted to make with it.  I was going to make a rhubarb torte from one of my cookbooks, but then I was browsing at Barnes & Noble, and discovered a book in the cookbook aisle (gee, how did I fortuitously end up there?!) called The Ice Cream Bible.   I noticed that one of the recipes was for Strawberry-Rhubarb Ice Cream, so I felt it was fate that I should buy this book for Jeremy (uh huh, for Jeremy, yeah).   The ice cream was delicious.  I used skim milk because that's what we had on hand and it still turned out great.  I didn't notice much of a rhubarb taste because the strawberries really dominated the flavor, but I don't care because it was just plain yummy.

Strawberry-Rhubarb Ice Cream
Recipe from The Ice Cream Bible
Serves 8

Ingredients:
2 cups chopped rhubarb, about 1/2" pieces (fresh or frozen)
1/2 cup water
2 eggs
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup whipping cream
2 cups chopped ripe strawberries

Directions:
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, bring rhubarb and water to a simmer.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until rhubarb is soft and resembles thick applesauce.  Using the back of a wooden spoon, push through a fine sieve.  Set aside.

In a bowl, whisk eggs with sugar until thickened and pale yellow.  Set aside.

In a separate medium saucepan over medium-low heat, bring milk and cream to a simmer.  Very gradually, whisk into the egg mixture.   Return the entire mixture to the saucepan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.  Be careful not to let it boil.  Strain into a clean large bowl.  Let cool to room temperature.

Once cool, stir in rhubarb mixture and strawberries.  Cover and refrigerate 6-8 hours.   Stir mixture and transfer to an ice cream maker.  Run for 20 minutes.  Freeze for a couple hours.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment