Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Thursday, August 16, 2012

Kickin' BBQ Chicken


Jeremy and I wanted to grill something for dinner, so I decided on chicken.   I was going to get drumsticks or something easy like that, but no, I went ahead and bought a WHOLE chicken.  How hard could it be to cut up, right?  My first attempt at butchering a chicken was a bit comical.  I had no idea what I was doing.  I did alright getting off the wings and legs, but then I was starting to go a little "angry birds" on the poor chicken, so Jeremy stepped in and helped separate the front and back so that we could grill the breast meat too.  It didn't work so I ended up just cutting the breast meat off the bone and grilling boneless breasts and reducing the cooking time for those.

This recipe was really good.  I liked the flavor of the BBQ Sauce.  It was pretty sweet and definitely not as spicy as I thought it was going to be, but that's alright with me.  Jeremy commented, "You know you can BUY barbeque sauce, right?" to which I rolled my eyes. What would be the fun in that?!

P.S.  The pasta salad was just a Suddenly Pasta Box Mix , but I added spinach, tomatoes, and matchstick carrots to it.  

Kickin' BBQ Chicken

Adapted from Taste Of Home Grill It! Magazine
Serves: 4

Ingredients:
Broiler/Fryer Whole Chicken, cut up
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoon cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Directions:
In a large saucepan, combine everything (except chicken) to make marinade.  Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.

Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 30-40 minutes, turning several times.  Baste chicken with the marinade, turning and grilling 10 minutes longer or until juices run clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment