Welcome to my Food Blog!

Welcome! My name is Anne, aka ThePharmGirl. In 2010, I successfully made 100 recipes as a New Year's Resolution to expand my culinary repertoire and cooking skills beyond the frozen microwave dinner. This blog is a continuation of my culinary journey and serves as my personal virtual recipe box. Sometimes I like to have fun-- Check out my Muppet Mania Menu, The 12 Days of Christmas, and my Musical-themed recipes.

My current mission(s) for 2022: * Make 1 recipe/month from German baking book


Monday, December 27, 2010

Second Day of Christmas

Anne's 12 Days of Christmas Recipes

 On the second day of Christmas, for my true love, I cooked...

~ Two Turtledoves ~


 Anne presents...

Bacon Cheese Turtleburgers
and
Dove Chocolate Turtles

 
Anne's Turtle

 Jeremy's Turtle

 
 Dove Chocolate Turtles



Once again, I took some creative liberties.  I'm not going to cook actual turtledoves.  And there's just too many days of poultry in this silly song.  So I decided to have fun with turtles instead.  I found the recipe for the bacon cheeseburger turtles online, and I thought they looked super cute, so I just had to give it a try.  Of course, this recipe could also be called "Heart Attack on a Plate."  I could just feel my arteries clogging as I ate that delicious heavenly bacon.   The recipe is just ground beef and a slice of cheese wrapped in bacon--LOTS of bacon!--with hot dogs sticking out for head and legs.  I only used about 5 slices of bacon for mine by making a smaller beef patty and cutting each strip of bacon in half and only draping the bacon weave over the top instead of entirely around the whole body.  I am supposed to be on a pre-wedding diet after all.   This recipe wasn't helpful.  Oh well.  It was a sacrifice I was willing to make in the name of my recipe blog.  hee hee.  ;)

I decided I should incorporate the "dove" part of turtledoves somehow, so I made those cute Dove Chocolate Turtles using Dove Caramel-Filled Chocolates.  They were incredibly easy to make... and so yummy.  I love caramel.

Anne's Fun Facts:

Cost of Two Turtledoves (2010 Christmas Price Index) = $100.00
Cost of Two Dove Turtles made by Anne = ~$0.35
Calories in Bacon Cheese Turtleburger = I don't want to know. Don't tell me.
Calories in 2 Dove Turtles made by Anne = 120 calories

Doves are believed to mate for life.  They symbolize marital devotion, faithfulness, and love forever.

*******************************

Recipes:

Bacon Cheese Turtleburgers 

Ingredients:
Very lean ground beef 
1 egg white
salt and pepper
Hot dogs or sausages
Packet of bacon or more
Cheddar cheese

Directions:
Form beef patties by combining the ground beef, egg white, salt, and pepper.  Set a slice of cheese on top of the patty.  Make a weave using 8-12 strips of bacon (depends on the size of your patty) and lay on top of the cheese, tucking ends underneath patty.  Cut wieners to make head and legs. Make 3 cuts in the "feet" sausages and one cross wise cut in the "head" sausage (so it will look like a mouth opening). Carve out a conical tail as well.  Make holes in the bacon weave, poke wieners about 1" into the patty. Secure with toothpicks that have been soaking in water.  Use a spatula to transfer turtles to a broiler pan.  Bake in the oven at 400º until beef is done (internal temp of 160º), about 35-45 minutes.


**************************************

Dove Chocolate Turtles
Makes 24 turtles


Ingredients
24 mini pretzels (the square ones work well)
24 Dove caramel-filled chocolates
24 pecan halves
pretzel sticks 

Arrange the square pretzels in a single layer on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.  Place one chocolate-covered caramel candy on each pretzel.  Bake at 300º for 4 minutes.  While the candy is warm, press a pecan half onto each chocolate and use pretzel sticks to make head and legs.  Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.  


********************************

Anne's 12 Days of Christmas Recipes  
(I will be posting one per day from Dec 26 thru Jan 6th, 2010)Feel free to comment!

1st Day: Partridge in Pear Tree             7th Day: Seven Swans a-Swimming
2nd Day: Two Turtledoves                    8th Day: Eight Maids a-Milking
3rd Day: Three French Hens                 9th Day: Nine Ladies Dancing
4th Day: Four Calling Birds                  10th Day: Ten Lords a-Leaping
5th Day: Five Gold Rings                     11th Day: Eleven Pipers Piping
6th Day: Six Geese a-Laying                12th Day: Twelve Drummers Drumming


 

1 comment:

  1. The little turtle chocolates are adorable! Not sure what to think about the turtle burgers, lol. They are cute too, just not sure I could eat it staring at me, lol. :0)

    ReplyDelete